Hey, friends! While we are in China, I have a few folks filling in to help keep things rolling here on the blog. Today’s article is for all you pet-lovers out there and it’s written by Casey Dickson, Rover.com community member. Rover is the nation’s largest network of 5-star pet sitters and dog walkers. Take a look…
It’s Pup-kin Season! Jump into a Canine-Centered Approach to Fall Decor.
When you love fall as much as we do (and why wouldn’t you?), the autumn decor explosion come October is pretty much inevitable. And when you have a canine friend running around the house, factoring your puppy love into the seasonal decorating project isn’t just a good idea for your dog’s safety — you can make it fun for Fido, too. Below, we have a few ways to create a festive home with some bonus tail wagging. The best part? They’re all DIY and super fun.
Silhouette treat jar. Create an eye-catching treat holder that will add delight to your decor scheme all season long.
What you’ll need:
- Mason jar with a lid and preferably a smooth surface.
- Vinyl stickers or vinyl adhesive roll
- Spray paint (we recommended a rich hue for the jar and a contrasting color for the lid – we love gold accents for fall decor).
- Super glue
- And of course, the treats we know you already have ready to go!
How to make it:
- Trace your chosen image (we’re partial to acorn and leaf silhouettes, but follow your decorating bliss) onto your vinyl adhesive roll.
- Stick on jar.
- Once your sticker is safe and sound, all edges firmly adhered to the jar, wipe down the jar to remove any extra residue — you want as smooth a paint application as possible, and any dust particles can create a bumpy surface.
- In a well-ventilated outdoor area, place the jar upside down on a piece of cardboard, newspaper, or dropcloth. Apply a thin, even coat of spray paint. Let dry. Repeat as needed.
- Dry for several hours. When the jar has dried (surface is no longer sticky or tacky) slowly and carefully peel off the sticker.
- While you’re waiting for all the jar paint to dry, paint the lid, following the same painting instructions as you did for the jar.
- Fill with treats, and watch Fido gaze inquisitively at this beautiful and tempting new addition to the house.
Pumpkin-spice up your dog’s sleeping space. Create a new puppy bed that jives with your autumn vibes (in no time at all).
What you’ll need:
- 2 1-yard pieces of fleece fabric — find at any craft or fabric store for under $10. Pick out a color (or two for contrast!) that up the autumn ante.
- Cheap bed pillow
How to make it:
- Keep the yards of fabric folded in half — just as the store cuts and folds it. The bed will have a little more cushion and staying power this way.
- Lay the pieces on top of each other, trimming edges as necessary for to evenness.
- Grab your scissors and start cutting strips into both pieces of fabric, keeping each trip about 3’’ wide and 2’’ apart from one another.
- Tie the corresponding strips from each fabric together in a knot, leaving one side untied. Cut into the pillow to release the stuffing, which you’ll stuff into your new bed cover. Once all stuffing has been added, tie the remaining strips together.
For all the pet sitters out there…
Don’t have a dog, but love tips like this when it comes to hosting client pups? You can connect to an incredible network full of sitter opportunities and canine know-how at Rover.com.
Leave a Reply