• Yellow Fabric 2 – 8” Circles, and 1 – 1 1⁄2” x 23” Strip
• Blue Fabric 2 – 7”x9” Bird Shape and 2 Bird Wings
• Yellow and Blue Acrylic Felt Squares
• Sewing Machine
• General Sewing Supplies
• Coordinating Thread to Fabric Colors
• Low Loft Batting (Enough for Bird Shape)
• Black Fabric Pen
• Google Eye or Button
• Poly-Fil® Brand Fiber Fill
Pattern Pieces –
• Trace all pattern pieces onto tissue or other paper and cut out.
• Place fabric, felt, and batting on a flat work surface.
• Pin pattern pieces on the material.
• Cut out individual pieces.
Bird Assembly – Place the beak (small triangle) on top of the front of
the bird where the marking is. The beak should point in toward the
• Place the other fabric bird shape on top of the bird front and beak,
with the right side facing down.
• Add the bird shape cut from batting to the bottom of the pile, and
pin all of the layers together.
• Sew around the edges with a 1⁄4” seam from the notch just below
the bird’s tail to the notch below its beak. The bottom and sides of
the bird will stay open for now. Sew around the edges with a 1⁄4”
seam from the notch just below the bird’s tail to the notch below its
beak. The bottom and sides of the bird will stay open for now.
• Turn the bird right side out and press.
Create Pocket – Pin the bird to the right side of one of the circles.
The bottom of the bird should line up with the bottom part of the
circle. Baste in place with a 1/8” seam. This will be your pillow top.
Joyfil Message – Use a fabric marker to letter “find joy” or another message
on the pillow top, above the bird. If you’d like to trace this message, you can
grab the free traceable image to print and place under your fabric at
Pillow Assembly – Fold the 23” strip in half, right sides together, and sew a 1⁄4”
seam across the short edge. This will give you a 22 1⁄2” loop.
• Sew one edge of the loop around the edges of the pillow top circle with a 1⁄4”
seam, right sides together.
• Sew the other edge of the loop around the edges of the pillow back circle
with a 1⁄4” seam, right sides together, leaving a 2” opening.• Pin in place.
• Sew together using 1⁄4” seam allowance. Leave a 3”opening at the bottom.
• Turn right side out and fill with Poly-Fil. Hand stitch the opening shut.
• Hand stitch the large triangles to the back of the pillow to form sun rays.
Finish Bird Assembly – Hand stitch the two wing shapes together, leaving a
small opening. Fill with Poly-Fil, then stitch the opening shut.
• Hand stitch or glue the wing to the bird’s body.
• Glue a google eye or button to the bird.
Finishing – Now, all that’s left to do is fill the pocket with things that bring
joy, like a note, a piece of candy, or other small treasures!