Hi! This is Blythe from Desperate Craftwives, excited to be back guest posting at One Artsy Mama!
When Amy said she was going to do a series on handmade gifts for the holidays on the cheap, I had a great project in mind to share. Tile Photo Coasters! Family members LOVE getting these as gifts (especially the grandparents) and they are easy and inexpensive to make!
What You Need:
- Tiles (I got mine at Home Depot for about 15 cents each, measuring 4.25″ x 4.25″)
- Photographs (choosing which ones to use was the hardest part of this project!)
- Mod Podge
- Mod Podge Clear Acrylic Sealer Spray
- Cork or Adhesive Felt
How To Make Them:
- Trim photos to match tile size (my photographs were 4×6 and the tile was 4.25″, so I had a little extra space at the top and bottom of my photo).
- Apply a thin layer of Mod Podge to the back of the photo and affix to tile. Be sure to smooth out any bubbles.
- Let dry completely.
- Apply Mod Podge to the edges of the tile to make sure picture edges are stuck down too.
- Spray several coats of Mod Podge Clear Acrylic Sealer onto tiles, spraying in a back and forth motion. Be sure to let it dry at least 15 minutes in between coats. I put about 8-10 coats on, which may have been overdoing it a bit, but wanted to make sure the coasters were waterproof.
- Once dry, glue cork onto the bottom or stick on some adhesive felt.
- Now tie the tile coasters together with a pretty ribbon and make someone really happy by giving them this thoughtful, handmade gift!
Maja Savic says
great idea. it’s so nice out that way. following you….
LOVE THIS!!! I’m so doing this for gifts for the holidays!
Jen @ frazzled 5 says
Love these- what an amazing teacher gift this will make. Take photos from their fb page and print them.