Here’s a quick and easy decor project for Valentine’s Day that anyone can create – a felt heart tree!
How to Make a Felt Heart Tree
This fun project only requires a few basic craft supplies, and can be customized by using different colors to best match your home decor. Grab the materials below, and let’s get crafting!
- small styrofoam cone
- felt (I used red and pink, but you can use any color combination you like!)
- hot glue gun and glue sticks
- straight pin
Cut heart shapes from your felt.
You’ll need 36-40 hearts total to cover the cone. Since I used two colors, I cut 20 red and 20 pink.
Starting with the bottom row, glue hearts to the cone upside down, slightly overlapping.
You want to cover up all the white of the cone.
Continue working up the cone one row at a time.
Each row should overlap the previous one, covering the cone.
Create and add the topper.
Cut a small heart from felt and glue it to a straight pin. If you like, you can cut a second heart and glue it to the other side of the pin. Push the pin down into the top of the cone.
- Try different combinations of colors, like different shades of pink or neutrals.
- To make your topper sparkle, add a little bit of glue and some loose glitter!
- Make several trees in different color combinations and sizes, and display them together with the tallest one in the center.
- If you want your styrofoam tree to be reusable, you can attach the hearts with pins instead of glue, then remove them when the holiday is over.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can use any size cone you like, just adjust the size of the hearts accordingly. For mine, I used 4” and 6” cones.
Sure! Younger crafters will most likely need help cutting the hearts, and I would suggest using craft glue instead of hot glue, but with a these adaptations, kids can certainly make heart trees.
More Valentine’s Day Projects
If you enjoyed these heart trees, check out these other Valentine’s Day craft ideas!
I’d love to see how your projects turn out; make sure you’re part of the Amy Latta and Friends Facebook Group so you can jump in our weekly project share thread and we can all inspire each other! Hope to see you there.
Felt Heart Trees
- hot glue gun
- felt – red, pink, or your choice of colors
- glue sticks
- straight pin
- Cut a total of 38-40 felt hearts.
- Starting with the bottom row, glue hearts to the cone, upside down and slightly overlapping.
- Continue gluing hearts in rows until cone is covered.
- Add a small felt heart topper glued to a straight pin.