Here’s a quick and easy patriotic pillow you can create using a basic patchwork pattern!
How To Make A Patchwork Patriotic Pillow
16 – 5” fabric squares (I like using charm packs so they’re already pre-cut!)
3/4 yard coordinating fabric for backing cut into two pieces that are 20” x 13.”
20” Poly-fil Weather Soft Indoor/Outdoor pillow form
Step 1: Lay out your pattern.
Arrange your 16 squares in four rows of four squares each. I did an alternating pattern of red, white, light blue, and dark blue.
Step 2: Sew your squares together.
Start by sewing the four squares in the top row together. Place the first (left-most) square face up with the second square face down on top of it, then sew a 1/4” seam down the right edge. Open them up, press the seam with an iron, then place the third square face down on top of the second square, and repeat. Do the same with the fourth square. Repeat until you have four strips, each with four squares.
Then, place the top row face up with the second row face down on top of it, and sew the two rows together with a 1/4” seam. Repeat until all 4 rows are sewn together to form one square.
Step 3: Sew the envelope backing.
For each 20” x 13” piece, fold one 20” edge over 1/4” and sew a 1/8” seam to create a finished edge. Place the pillow front face up, then layer the backing pieces face down on top of it, overlapping each other with the finished edges toward the center. Pin together and sew a 1/4” seam around all four sides. Using the opening where the backing pieces overlap, turn the pillow cover right side out.
Step 4: Insert pillow form.
Insert the pillow form into the opening in the cover.
Sewing & Crafting Tips
- Using a rotary cutter, along with a cutting mat and guide ruler is so much easier and more accurate than cutting with scissors!
- Try shopping for pre-cut 5” squares, called charm packs, to save time.
- Using an Indoor/Outdoor pillow form allows me to use my pillow wherever I choose. If you know you’re going to keep yours indoors, you can use a “normal” pillow form, or stuff your cover with Poly-Fil.
Frequently Asked Questions
Missouri Star Quilt Company! Most of my squares were from a Moda Fabrics collection called Stateside.
Everyone sews at a different speed, so it will be different for everyone. I finished my pillow in an afternoon.
Of course! After you complete step 2, just add a piece of batting behind your pillow top, and quilt the two layers as desired. Then, proceed to step 3 and add the backing.
More Patriotic Projects
If you enjoyed this project, check out these other patriotic craft ideas.
Patchwork Patriotic Pillow
- 16 5” fabric squares
- 3/4 yard coordinating fabric cut into two 20”x13” pieces
- 1 20” Poly-fil Weather Soft Indoor/Outdoor pillow form
- Lay out your pattern, arranging you squares in 4 rows of 4.
- Sew your squares together, first creating 4 rows, then sewing the rows together to form a large square.
- Sew the envelope backing.
- Insert your pillow form.
Make sure you’re part of the Amy Latta & Friends Facebook Group so you can share project photos and we can all be inspired. Also, don’t forget to share this idea with a friend, and save it to Pinterest. Happy creating!